Thursday, May 26, 2005

Star Wars Review: SPOILERS!

I've got to do this. Since everyone on the freaking PLANET has seen Episode III, and is now vigorously debating it over the internet, I feel compelled to throw my two cents in.

First of all, this was by far the best of the prequels. It had an unbeatable lack of Jar-Jar in it, and it almost restored by faith in the franchise. However, there were some problems. First of all, Windu v. Emperor was just sad. It looked like two out of shape fat guys trying to have an epic battle. And the "Noooooooo! Noooooooooo!" crap was just awful. This was the single low-point of the movie.

There are some continuity problems. First of all, remember when Leia says she remembers her REAL mother? Well she doesn't, unless she remembers her own birth. Second of all, how in the hell is it that Obi-Wan v. Annakin ends so abruptly? These guys battle it out over river of lava for like half an hour, while standing on rocks that are no more than 16 square feet, but Obi-Wan gets the high ground by three feet and the fight is over. This also brings up another point... how in God's name did Annakin catch fire while laying 5 feet away from the river of molten lava, but both he and Obi-Wan managed to survive battling literally inches away from the river for a VERY long time without burning alive? Now I know it's a movie and I should just relax... but damn.

The most unintentionally hilarious element of the movie was Palpatine's relationship with Annakin. The whole time I kept thinking about a rapo-molesto trying to get a young, impressionable boy into his van "No no Annakin, it is totally natural to experiment with the dark side of the force, I want you to meet me in my office, alone, at night."

All in all though, I think it was good, the fight scenes were great in general, and the movie tied up all the loose ends. The big question now is: How much is Lucas going to try to screw us for the 6 movie DVD box set gold platinum 48 disc special feature edition? My guess: $200

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home