Thursday, March 23, 2006

Home

I drove around my home town last night with an old friend.

It changes so fast I barely recognize it. When I moved in there were trees everywhere, now there's just acre after acre of new subdivision. The old parts still feel familiar though. It's good being here.

I was out at the bar tonight, and I had friends there from three different groups I used to hang out with in high school... three stages of my life if you will, and it was great seeing all of them in one place. I guess that's what makes me feel at home here... I can drive around town and peel apart the layers of my life, reliving each phase in the places in which they occurred. I can go to the bar and sit next to 5 different people from 3 distinct social groups, all of whom I've known since I was 12, and we talk with the kind of familiarity only a group of old friends can pull off.

On the ride home, I drop my best friend off at his house. He rents his dad's old condo. I used to spend the night there sometimes when my friend was visiting his dad. I remember watching "The Predator" there when I was 13. I remember the day at the condo when friend convinced me to let him cut my hair. He did a fantastic job, and he continued cutting it throughout high school.

I turn away from the memories and go back to my car. I sigh, and start the engine. I turn on the radio and turn it to the same station I listened to when I was in the 7th grade, the same station that introduced me to Nirvana and Pearl Jam when I was a young, and discovering music for the first time. They play No Rain, by Blind Melon, and I smile, it was the first CD I ever owned.

The song ends, and I am happy. I'm home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home