Saturday, May 28, 2005

Clarifications, Excuses, and Explanations

I reread some of my old posts. The fact that I have openly stated that I want to transfer may make it seem like I expect to do well again. This is false. I hope to do well. I know for a fact that I'm not one of the brighter bulbs in my class, but I am good at gaming systems, and I figured out how to game the law school exam system last semester pretty damn well. HOWEVER, this semester, all the people who are smarter than me probably figured it out too, so I am honestly not "expecting" the same grades I got last semester, and I'm honestly not "expecting" to transfer to new school, But I am "hoping" to do both. My reasons for wanting to transfer aren't just prestige related. I love my school, and it would actually be a very very hard choice to leave it if I get onto law review. But there are personal reasons for me wanting to transfer. I want to be near my family/friends/girlfriend who put up with a long distance relationship the entire year while I was in law school and didn't call her often enough.

Everything I say that I "want," I'm hoping for... not expecting. There is nothing worse than the idiot who assumes they're going to do well on a law school exam. You have no idea how you did, and you're an arrogant prick if you assume you beat 90% of the people in your class. The second you start expecting to get A's is the second you deserve to stop getting them...

Now, back to my law review write-on competition/video games.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

For transfer, does it matter if you transfer to another state?

4:09 PM  
Blogger Snubligent said...

I haven't heard anything about it hurting you. First year common law courses are all pretty much the same everywhere. I looked at your transfer post... I'm not sure if ending up with a license to practice in another state is a "con" per se. You take the bar exam wherever you want... the only places where you automatically pass the bar exam are Wisconsin and Marquette... no matter where you go to school (as long as it's ABA approved) you can take the bar in all 50 states, so if you want to take the bar in CA and you're going to school in Iowa or something, it's not really that big a deal.

Most of what you need to know to pass the bar you'll learn from your BarBri course (or so I've been told), law school teaches you the over-arching theoretical framework, and the bar review course is supposed to teach you the state-specific stuff.

Then again, I haven't done any of this stuff... so take the advice with a grain of salt, but from the people I've talked to who HAVE transferred, it doesn't seem to make a difference... the only things they care about are you GPA, quality of current law school, and reasons for transferring.

8:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you very much for your input. I also found several links posted on your site extremely helpful.

Do you have trackback enabled? I am trying to figure out how to link similar posts together so it's easy to look up similar discussions.

9:12 PM  
Blogger Snubligent said...

I'm not sure what trackback is... I'm pretty new to the whole blogging thing. Glad you liked the links... I forgot to give you this one: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/transferapps/

if you want to transfer, this site has an excellent database of previous apps (members post their gpa, class rank, school, and who accepted them as transfers)

9:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home