Monday, January 16, 2006

Hmmm.... Interesting. I am Intrgued by Your Ideas and Would Like to Subcsribe to Your Newsletter; or "The Longest Blog Post Title Ever."

When I was younger I was a pretty skinny kid, which I guess is better than being a pretty fat kid. But my size and total lack of athletic ability prevented me from playing most of the normal sports, so I joined the track team in middle school. I don't know why, but I can't sprint. Well I can, but I really suck at it. One thing that I *was* pretty good at was running the mile, so I did that. That and the 800 meter. I kind of hated the 800 though. Actually I really fucking hated the 800. It's like the most painful race ever, but I digress.

So I enjoyed the mile, I was relatively decent at it even (I hesitate to say "good" because I wasn't... but still, better than average). So I figured, what the hell... let's do cross-country.

Cross-country is hard. I was never good at running more than 4-5 miles, which made training for 3 mile races really difficult. I only did it for 2 years, then I started smoking, which made it impossible. So I quit running. Now I haven't had a cigarette in almost 16 months, and I've been pretty good about running. I can run 3 miles again without gasping for breath, and I can even do it in a little under half an hour .

So my friend who wants to run as well has this idea: We should run a marathon.

In my head this sounds like a great plan. I can start running a little farther each week, maybe get myself up to 4-5 mile runs in a month or two. Kind of build off of that... I would have ten months to get ready, and I've deluded myself into thinking I can do it.

Of course when I snap back to reality I realize how utterly insane this plan is. The longest I've ever run was 10 miles, and that was when I was in peak physical condition, which, for those of you counting at home, was over a DECADE ago. In addition to this, I have no idea what I'm doing. I don't even know what a respectable time for a marathon is. I'm only half certain that it's 26.2 miles for God's sake.

However, this is something that I've always wanted to do. If I had a list of things to do before I died, this would definitely be on it. Also, I've always kind of regretted giving up running in high school... maybe I could've been good if I stuck with it. I don't know. I think it may be worth finding out though.

3 Comments:

Blogger CM said...

That's funny -- I also ran track and ran the mile and two mile because I was slow and no one else wanted to do it. Even if I came in last, I was a big hero because we had to enter someone in every race to be eligible. But unlike you, I was never close to being good.

3:26 PM  
Blogger shell said...

You won't know until you actually try. This is not something you can do at any time in your life. Some people would like to run, but due to physical limitations, they simply cannot do it. Why not give it a try when you're given a chance?

Not only will it build up your physical endurance, it also builds confidence and character. (Kind of like law school, if you ask me.)

5:23 PM  
Blogger Dagny said...

Do it snubs! I ran only ran middle distance in college track and only 6k in college cross country, but I plan on running a full marathon in a year or so. If you always wanted to do it you should.

Training for it will probably have a really positive impact on your life.

10:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home